Finally got NetBSD to work(in a virtual machine).

tusharhero

Jun 13, 2023
tusharhero.github.io
Shell
  1. Fish
Editor
  1. EMACS
Desktop
  1. KDE
netbsd.png
I am also trying to make it so that I am able to directly login into this virtual machine (kind of like a desktop environment), but currently its a bit messy.

how did you setup the "login to VM", that's not something I've ever really tried before... i did something similar using custom login providers on windows to login to session where vcxsvr was running with a forwarded environment from wsl, never tried anything similar on linux.

how did you setup the "login to VM", that's not something I've ever really tried before... i did something similar using custom login providers on windows to login to session where vcxsvr was running with a forwarded environment from wsl, never tried anything similar on linux.
Basically, I hacked my way through that. First I installed dwm from pacman(Because its light weight no other reason).

And then I made a script in one of the paths.
Code:
#!/bin/bash
dwm &
xsetroot -name "Starting $1 please wait..."
virsh start $1
xsetroot -name "$1 VM is ready! Connecting you to the VM."
virt-viewer -fw $1
And name it vmscript.

and then in /usr/share/xsessions

I make the following files,
netbsd,sh
Code:
#!/bin/bash

vmscript "netbsd9.0"

and netbsd.desktop

Code:
[Desktop Entry]
Type=XSession
Exec=/usr/share/xsessions/netbsd.sh
TryExec=/usr/share/xsessions/netbsd.sh
DesktopNames=netbsd
Name=netbsd
Comment=netbsd Virtual Machine

About Us

• The Linux.Chat community is a multi-platform community for general Linux® support. We provide help and support for any Linux® distribution and aim to answer any questions you might have about Linux®. Discussion about the various aspects of Linux® and Free/Open Source software is also encouraged.

Visit our communities website at Linux.Chat.
  • Linux® is the registered trademark of Linus Torvalds in the U.S. and other countries.

Quick Navigation

User Menu