Gnome Idiots guide to using command line?

Topics relating to the Gnome desktop.

jadeia

Mar 13, 2024
Hey everyone,

Just diving into Linux recently, except for a quick try with Ubuntu back in the mid-2000s.

After messing around with a few different distros and desktop setups, I've landed on Fedora and Gnome and have been sticking with it for about a month now. Really digging the stability and the clean look of Gnome, and it's a breath of fresh air not having all that Windows and Microsoft bloat.

I'm super keen to get better at using the console terminal. I'm talking about getting software installed, checking for updates, and just picking up on the do's and don'ts. I want to make sure I'm not carrying over any bad habits from my Windows days.

Anyone got a solid book recommendation or an online course that's good for diving deep into this stuff? I'm looking for something that's beginner-friendly but still gets into the nitty-gritty.

Cheers for any tips you can throw my way!

I found this book to be pretty good. It encourages you to type the commands as you go. Feel free to skip over chapters that seem to difficult for you (I skipped the entire vim one when I first started). I also only got about half way through it before I just went to using Linux, but it gave me a good base that I was then able to improve on later on my own.

Solution

About Us

• The Linux.Chat community is a multi-platform community for general Linux® support. We provide help and support for any Linux® distribution and aim to answer any questions you might have about Linux®. Discussion about the various aspects of Linux® and Free/Open Source software is also encouraged.

Visit our communities website at Linux.Chat.
  • Linux® is the registered trademark of Linus Torvalds in the U.S. and other countries.

Quick Navigation

User Menu